Wednesday, October 2, 2013

More Advice from New York

During yoga practice, my teacher asks me, "What's the most important thing when you're a yoga instructor?"

Answers jockey for position in my mind.  Clear verbal instructions, deconstructing poses, making adjustments, modeling poses well...  "Communication?"

"Confidence.  People are gonna follow you if you're confident.  If you don't know the poses, if you don't know shit, they still show up to class because they think you do.  They're gonna see that you feel good, and they're gonna feel good, too."

I squint.

"You know, I see you.  I really see you as a yoga teacher.  You look good, you do your poses good.  You're a good looking girl, that's a good start."

I raise my eyebrows.

"Don't worry it!  Confidence.  That's all I'm saying.  But, that comes with time-- with experience.  So, don't worry about it."

I am confused, but more comfortable with my lack of confidence.  A student's reaction is something even the most experienced teachers no control over.

No comments:

Post a Comment