Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hot Yoga Incorporated

Lessons I learned from hot yoga.  "Here we go everybody!  Push it!"
  • When I know I look good enough, I don't feel the need to look around to see who looks better.
  • When I do look around, if I revel in the pure beauty of everyone else's bodies, I fill my heart with awe and gratitude for the variety and strength of the entire race.  Even that fat guy sweating it out in the corner, cursing under his breath. 
  • When the teacher's yelling a correction, it's not necessarily at me.
  • When someone encourages you to wear something "cuter," you so don't have to.  Sweatpants are just as functional and a bikini.
  • Turns out, you do have to wash your towel and workout clothes every time.
  • If I push myself until I cry, I'm crying about something I've been holding onto for months, years, or maybe my whole life.
  • If I feel sore, it's a good thing.  If I feel pain, it's a bad thing.
  • When I can't drink enough water -- when I fill my belly 24-7 and am still thirsty -- I'm in need of mineral salts; electrolytes.  Coconut water, vitamin water, whatever works.
  • Savasana is as much a challenge as any other; if I want to run out of the room, it's because my mind's about to tell me something that part of me doesn't want to know.  If this happens to you, trust me:  You DO want to know, even if it hurts.  
  • Breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment